Friday, August 1, 2008

Planting Day

photos by Cassandra Mohr


Well, today we got serious.
My daughters and I set out to plant the seeds that had been sitting in a little pile on my desk for two weeks.
I started out with nine of them.
Then, one day, my eight-year-old asked me out of the blue: "Daddy, could we eat some of the sunflower seeds on your desk?".
When I told her that we wouldn't be eating them because they were for planting, she followed up with: "but what would happen if we DID eat some?"
When I got back to my desk, I noticed that I was down to eight.
Hmm.

When we sat down to crack open the shells so we could plant the seeds, my eight-year-old reached for the pliers and utterly destroyed another seed.
We were down to seven.

I was actually pleased with this because I'd been thinking for some time about writing a post entitled "It all started with seven seeds".
From that point on, we decided that the best way to open the shells was with our teeth.

Then we opened the other ones.
As far as I can tell, my daughter ate and crushed two of the three good seeds.
All the rest were empty shells with little nubs where the seed should have been.

"What the heck?! that's not a seed!"

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you THE seed!

Bella showing off her gardening shoes.
As an added bonus, they're waterproof!

Because I'm a little obsessive-compulsive, we went ahead and planted the seven remaining "seeds". I'll be surprised if we get more than one plant. Heck! I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get ONE plant!

I let Bella, the seed-eating, watershoe-wearing wonderchild do the watering.

No comments: